Friday, June 5, 2015

Is the H4 EAD a status? EAD in general is not a proof of status or even a proof of "authorized stay by the Attorney General".  An EAD simply means an Employment Authorization Document.  As the name suggests it is a document which only authorizes employment and does not grant any kind of status.  In fact, it is the other way around, you need a period of authorized stay or a specific status in order to obtain an EAD.

Many people would wrongly believe that by applying for the H4 EAD they are moving themselves to some sort of other status.  They are not.  They are just adding a component of work authorization to their status.  As such their status are H4 visa status and this implies that when asked, they should answer H4 visa status not H4 EAD.

This clarification becomes important because few people are thinking that with the H4 EAD, they will be allowed to travel without an H4 visa stamp on their passport.  This is a wrong conception and you should be aware that nothing has changed in the H4 rules except that it was amended to allow some H4 visa holders to file for a work permit (EAD).  We wish all the H4 visa holders good luck in obtaining their long awaited work permit.

If you need help in applying or your H4 EAD or any immigration matters, please call us at (510) 742 5887.

If you like our work and want us to continue please follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin.

No comments:

Post a Comment